Do we need a captcha?

In order to filter out robots?

Here a video for inspiration:

:slight_smile:

What about androids?

3 Likes

I was wondering the same thing!

When do people think captchas will be most needed? Obviously during signup, but what about after signup? Should there be a captcha when someone is new, or if someone sends more than X messages within Y timeframe? I’d be curious to see when people think captchas are most appropriate.

We should also take into account the mood a message is in and whether in that community is an unusual peak of messages. And maybe some other thinks which ambassadors can finetune.

I think that the idea of analysing tone as a way to filter out scammers or bots is worthwhile, but I think it could also have the unintended consequence of picking up non-native English speakers, who might write in a slightly odd tone (but still be totally genuine). AI isn’t quite bias-free yet.

As long as the message tone captcha was combined with randomised captchas (for everyone - regardless of community standing/tone) then it would be fine. It could also be used for people who are copying and pasting the same message to multiple people (legit folks - but lazy couchers spraying hosts)

2 Likes

I think it’s kind of ironic with captcha that the process of proving you’re not a robot… is actually training AI to drive cars and read distorted texts.

The question also involves asking does the couchers project want to be involved in training driverless cars and digitising texts for massive tech companies… with the majority of users not knowing that’s what they are doing?

2 Likes

There are definitely captchas out there that are not run by big corporations or organizations. We could also make our own in-house captcha!

2 Likes

@Jesse a couchercaptcha. Could be a really interesting and beautiful art project in itself. I didn’t know Captcha was being used to train AI, but it now makes total sense. A coucher-captcha could be used to compose random haiku, or pose interesting philosophical questions, or use the community to try to solve interesting questions.

2 Likes

It can maybe be used for events as well to make sure users genuinely are interested to go and not just filling up spots which may forgo the opportunity for another attendee.