Template Messages

Are there any plans to have the options to save template messages? How does everybody feel about those?

I used them heavily on CS. The most important one for me was a prepared message for guests that I would send out a couple of days before they arrived. It had all the factual information about how to get to us, bus directions, taxi companies, my phone number, etc. All in a clear and concise format, easy to save or print out if necessary.
Then I had one that used to reply to every badly written request. Trying to send newbies in the right directions to learn more about what couchsurfing is supposed to be and how to write a good request, etc.

I also used templates for finding hosts and I expect, that this might be a bit controversial. Because it can easily lead to lazy requests.
To that I would reply that copy/pasting is and will always be possible. Somebody who wants to send the same message to lots of people doesn’t need a template and can do it just as easily with copy/paste.
I used them to have the basic factual information about my planned trip already in place and then extended each message to a potential host on a personal basis.

I personally would love to see them integrated into the platform.

9 Likes

I used to use template messages heavily, too… especially during 2014-2015 when CS didn’t limit number of CS requests. I used to get up to thirty CS requests daily… it was impossible to respond personally almost thousand people every single month and having templates was a welcomed feature for me in the past. So to answer your question I feel good about having template messages in general.

I am currently in no need for templates but eventually if/when Couchers gets bigger it would come in handy to have them.

Just as you mentioned there are some situations that require you to send identical messages like: contact info, directions or tips for all your accepted guests (or a polite template decline for copy and paste requests which for me always used to be my go to answer over a blank unanswered decline).

4 Likes

Yes! I’m definitely in favor. As Bellatrix said, people will do it whether or not it’s part of the site. And maybe the recessed text when one starts a couch request can be ‘show the host that you read their profile and tell them why you want to stay with them’ to discourage this power being used for laziness.

My couchrequest template had blanks for their name, things from their profile that struck me, and anything about my trip’s immediate schedule. Aaaand in case anyone here insists that the only great couchrequests are completely tailored, I’ll add that I received numerous compliments on the quality of my requests, including from seasoned hosts.

Excellent suggestion, Bellatrix. I’m going to be looking for Canadian hosts next month, so I hope this gets implemented soon!

4 Likes

Yes! We have plans to offer the ability for users to save templates for sending requests and for responding to requests. With that said, this feature is still something that probably will be implemented a bit later as we are still working on some core features (eg. improvements to requests/messaging and adding events).

Would it make sense to allow templates in just regular messaging? Or should we keep templates just for sending requests and responding to requests? I feel like if we implemented them for just regular messaging, then the templating feature might be abused.

3 Likes

Cool. And yeah it makes sense not to use templates for messages. The only example I can think of is if someone who’s not usually hosting and makes an exception for someone and wants to send their directions. But in that case they can take a few extra minutes to go through the same process for sending a couch request to pull up their template and copy paste it.

I think there’s a separate thread about this, and I might not get to it, but I’m in favor of being able to message people you’re not friends with, since you’re talking about messaging. For example, there’s a gal in my city with a full profile who seems cool and I want to let her know about the HospEx events happening now via a fb group and BeWelcome. As of now I just have to hope she accepts my friend request without knowing me or what I want. And this particular scenario might be fixed when Couchers launches events, but then again it might not. Anyway, there are multiple other scenarios, the most common being ‘I’m coming to your city and would like to meet up.’ And until and unless we have public trips (don’t), the recipient won’t know I’m coming to their city just from the friend request. Just my two cents.

1 Like

BlockquoteMy couchrequest template had blanks for their name, things from their profile that struck me, and anything about my trip’s immediate schedule. Aaaand in case anyone here insists that the only great couchrequests are completely tailored, I’ll add that I received numerous compliments on the quality of my requests, including from seasoned hosts.

Same here. On my bike trips I had a prewritten text about me and my tour as a template (that I updated about once every one or two week as my trip progressed), before which I would put the hosts name and one or two sentences about something on their profile. IF there was something on their profile worth mentioning - sometimes you just have no instant connection with someone, but still think it might be cool to met them, or have to write to half-filled profiles because there simply aren’t that many hosts in the area.
It just isn’t possible to write the amount of requests needed as a single male traveller changing location daily otherwise - but I never got a complaint and was instead more than once complimented on the well written request.

2 Likes

I agree that using templates is really helpful because we also give the same information about us how to get there etc to our visitors.
And since sometimes we just communicate through messages because there is no concrete date for hosting or visiting it is helpful to be able to use the template on messages as well. As it was mentioned before you can always use copy and past any way, so it can’t be prevented.

2 Likes