Account on Couchsurfing.com suspended for mentioning alternatives

Thing is if there are people looking manually for profiles they would go for the profiles with highest reach (most references, reply rate, activity) and they would find it easily in the biggest cities.

And it would not be usefull uploading profiles with lower reach, as you might get along undetected, but probably won’t reach a decent amount of people.

Since accounts are not free anymore I don’t think this is a viable strategy. :smiley:

make lots of accounts made in Free CS areas with promotional material, make it so CS makes these areas too behind paywall, more people behind paywall - more people on CS Alternatives

2 Likes

Hahaha I thought I was going wild with the Cyrillic idea!

Awwwwkward.
I’ve reached out an old friend on CS, in one of countries
that still allowed to use it without payment.
He didn’t even know about paywall existence and so on,
which made him quite upset. So He got pretty excited about Couchers.org
And immediately shared it with other CS friends…

on CS app :man_facepalming:

And … predictably got suspended right away…
I feel guilty now lol… I should warn him about that.
So yeah don’t forget to mention this “nuance” for those who still using CS

4 Likes

So we gotta keep working to make all the travel-loving people of the world Aware of Couchers!

And then have a HUGE :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:ing party when C$ finally crashes and burns!!! :partying_face:

3 Likes

Got suspended as well. Only got one vague answer back from CS support. After 6 mails or so with no reply I’ven given up on my profile. Didn’t “promote” any other platforms because of their bots.

Hosted over 12 years hundreds of people and hosted a monthly meeting as well.

Was pissed in the beginning but they’re digging their own grave with monetising, censorship and ridiculous policies to the community.

Used the same username here as on CS so could be because of that but of course hard to prove.

4 Likes

Same feeling here. Didn’t promote Couchers much yet since it first needs to be a good alternative for CS. Think a lot of new users will be disappointed and expect directly a new platform with at least same functionality and features. Which is not realistic since it simply takes time to develop a great platform even better than CS. (No offensive to all the great work from the volunteers).

Know we’ll be there in a year or so :hugs: Once back from holidays I want to start contributing as well again.

1 Like

Your account has been temporarily suspended. Please email support at couchsurfing dot com for assistance

This is what I received in the CS website immediately after clicking ‘send’ in a direct message where I wrote ‘couchers dot org’, it seems the banning is automated.

Funny thing is, the recipient got the message and I was able to read his response in an email notification, I suppose they are still figuring out how to implement this banning strategy, sad.

Even when it is (was…) a 12 years old account I’m not very worried for loosing it, good friends I made there are still around.

Several months ago I took screen shots of all my contacts there just in case, so, now I have a bunch of jpgs to review if a ever get nostalgic :wink: but that rarely happen to me, future is always more interesting than past and I’m looking forward for the growing of new communities like this one.

4 Likes

i would suggest sending an image that says couchers.org :Þ if you ever get your account back

just got “temporarily suspended” on my new account on CS, no idea why really, apart from 2 possible scenarios i still wouldn’t think would be offences, first one is that i hosted some people who didn’t like the cigerette smell of my apartment, mind you i offered them my bedroom in which i generally don’t smoke it and ofcourse my profile prefaces people that i smoke alot and indoors and that people should be prepared for that, the other reasons is that i link to “trustroots” in messages sometimes, i mean they have a Wikipedia type subsection with really good guides on howto be a good surfer or howto write a proper surfing request, there used to be a neutral website called couchwiki dot org who had guides but that website is now dead, and so i link to trustroots, i’m not promoting that platform i’m just linking to their wiki articles…

i dunno, when i got the news i had been banned i cried alot cuz this is like my only social experience and them banning me again is a total blow to that, i had been so careful of being best host since making my new account and now being “temporarily suspender” is just my only vestige for being connected to the world

1 Like

Oh Clim, I am so sorry :frowning: I hope you can find the same connectedness through Couchers.org or other websites. Many of us are in the same boat but the jerks at CS HQ don’t care. :pensive:

1 Like

Couchwiki actually became wiki.trustroots.org at some point when I realized CouchSurfing was as good as dead to me. And I didn’t feel like setting up a separate wiki for Trustroots.
The couchwiki.org domain name wasn’t redirecting properly for a while. Fixed that today.

There are a bunch of extensive articles and some stubs at Category:Tips - Wiki.trustroots.org

Feel free to mention Couchers anywhere on these pages.

There’s also a stub about Couchers, which could use some work: Couchers - Wiki.trustroots.org

2 Likes

I wonder why you take so much risk with your CS profiles. Personally I really do not want to lose mine, even if I do not host on it.
I find that the most efficient way to bring people to other platforms is to say: “Thank you for your CS request, please make a request on Couchers (or BW or TR) for me to host you”. In that way not only people visit Couchers website but actually create an account, and explore a bit. Also I usually switch to Whatapp after 1 or 2 messages on CS, not talking about alternatives there. At the moment I redirect my BW requests on Couchers.

2 Likes