Create more specific search filters

About the initial topic: search parameters
I like a lot of parameters to choose from.
We all have our own set of parameters that are important to us for personal reasons.

About the reply rate topic:
what if the reply rate is calculated for profiles that are up to a certain level ?
That means xx % filled profile with a minimum of some important key chapters filled in.
But it is not easy to determine these parameters.

Hi! Just wanted to add to the “reply rate”:

My reply rate was very good, 90 to 95% (I was getting 10 requests every day some weeks, yes, some very low effort slipped). And then I had the (bad) idea of posting a public trip. I got flooded with creepy messages and host offers (over 200). I was traveling, all the good contacts got lost in a sea of “hey beauty” and of course I didn’t want to waste my vacation time on replying to creeps. And CS just took my reply rate down.

Just bringing this up so you all are aware that sometimes a 60% reply rate is not what it looks like, and that, if you are going to implement this in couchers, we should came up with a better way of measuring it, because the CS way was making creeps that use it like tinder have a 100% and people using it for the right reasons and ignoring those messages a lower one.

4 Likes

Perhaps I should explain this better, after all I’m just brainstorming in this forum.
Let me try again:

The complaint in CS “as is” is that the reply rate is calculated from every PM or request you get,
even from people just creating a crappy profile with no info in it,
making us tired of responding.

So that’s where the idea comes from to calculate the reply rate of a member
only if the PM/request comes from a profile that has a minimum of content.
This way you don’t have to put energy in responding to people that clearly don’t want to do effort themselves.

4 Likes

Interesting idea!

Another option instead of deciding a limit would again let the community decide. For instance a method could be - If a person spams a lot and only receives 10% responses, when someone doesn’t respond to them, rather than it could be weighted as only 10% weight of not responding to them. Instead of going down from 95% to 94%, you’d just go to 94.9%.

Just off the top of my head though, could have unintended consequences

1 Like

It’s difficult to reply to everything and this is a long discussion, I’m just gonna throw out a few of my ideas here and hopefully they won’t get lost…I’ll be repeating stuff that other people mentioned because I want everything in one comment :slight_smile::

1. Reply rate :
    a. messaging
    b. requests
    Also separate between time it took to answer and if answered at all.
    This should be modifiable on our side in case something goes wrong and then we can even add that we modified it (technical problems or good reasons why they did not answer).
    I think we should also try figuring out some kind of system in the future to measure if the person stopped answering and not only if they answered the first message and same with references if they just accepted but then did not really host, maybe make more rates for these and then have one general one or maybe that will go into the community standing which I don’t really understand yet…
  2. I think we should be talking of filtering and sorting and not of only filtering. I also do not think we should be hiding any users completely maybe not showing them on the default or even better just sorting them to the bottom of the page, we might need a clear line between the sorted active users and the non active ones though.
    3.I really like this approuch Aapeli:

I think we should add this to two conversations, a. how we handle our notifications best(TR does this with Facebook notifications as well as email I believe) b. If we should push people off the platform to use their favorite platform that way they will not miss anything( I could elaborate but I believe I mentioned this elsewhere, need to create a thread [is this called a topic or a thread?] for this) . Regarding b, this will be very difficult to control but I’m still a big fan.
5. Last minute host is a great filter idea!
6. I think we could just copy all the CS filters and make them better.
7. I really like this idea Lucas!

1. I know the following suggestion is a no go for many but I would still love to see this, maybe we could have an opt in button in the settings for this? The feature: send my request in one click to everyone who matched the filter. I think we could make another section for this maybe, so people don’t get this in the same section as their regular messages but in a section that is somewhere in between the regular requests and the searching for travels section? Then you could turn on notifications for that as well if you want to.

I think a different button is great to encourage people to write better requests and with a no button no one really knows why it is a no, is it because my request is bad? My pictures are shitty? You don’t have time? maybe we could add some more quick replies like these to make it even easier to keep your reply rate high…

My motto is: “the quality of the quantity” so I would like to push for quantity as well even if the requests are bad, some people (me) are ok with that.

1. friends of friends sounds great!! maybe we could have another “quick message” button for that as well? it could just ask a friend (or all friends in common) with a generated message what they think of the Couchsurfer .

This could also be a filter, I plan ahead/ I do not plan ahead and how long you plan ahead.

1. new Members could also be a filter because they would be affected from the no references or reply rate - maybe something that makes it easier to understand- this user got 12 references from 30 requests or this user declined 10 out of 30 requests in the last two weeks, that would be better than just “new user” because new does not necessarily mean time. Some places get requests every day while others once a year…

I’m against just adding this, maybe hosts could opt in to this and create their own questions? like on facebook groups when you join a group?

1. This is really clever!

maybe we could highlight this somehow when people check out someone else’s profile? so the negative reviews a person gives and also gets would be very visible? this is the most informative part for me…shows how the person really is. maybe we could add a filter for this? Amount of bad references given and gotten?

This actually might be available especially if we use some matrix bots it might actually be very easy. maybe this is even possible already, here is a nice matrix bridge to look into.

Maybe messages coming from public trips could be shown somewhere else? And then have a different rate? (in code : save the context of where you came from to the profile?) and also just add an easy creap/spam/ too much button and you can just mark many messages and say this was too much for you, I think these are special cases we could deal with in support every time they happen, at least for the beginning, until we come up with better ideas.

I really like this idea but am afraid this will not work without a lot of thought and I think just doing it is a bad idea, that’s why I’m against this right now, maybe if we think about it more…My concerns: new people should also count in the reply rate, how do you consider a good profile? good reviews or if everything is filled out? I think both do not filter out the creeps.
Possible similar solution: we could perhaps add more reply rates? one general one and one for people over 10 references, then another for new people and another for people who got voted as creepy and just keep on adding different reply rates so people can choose the filter they like most and the reply rates that suit them most.

I like this comment. This is very difficult to implement though because if you send a request last minute and it was not answered that’s not something you want affecting your reply rate. Maybe more reply rates for different ranges of requests? reply rate for request a week ahead, a day ahead, a month ahead?

very interesting, in the long term I would completely go for community debates about how exactly this should could be done, but for the short term it is just wayyyyyy to complicated.

If you made it down to here you are my hero :sweat_smile: please do just ask me if something I wrote was not clear, I prefer talking and this is a huge topic so just click here and we can talk!

1 Like

Hi everyone :slight_smile:**

ok the reply rate got to confusing for me. If it was above 50% i would write depending on the last online…

i feel this and remember “Hi” messages. so i dont care about that filter. as a host it just put pressure on me to answer even the low effort request (which i had a saved copy paste answer for).

Is there already a topic for requests? Why not also give reference to the request? Rate them like: *unpersonal/personal *Copy-paste *creepy… - like with the stars on CS! Would give more feedback on how to improve than a red flag.

On Cs i filtered for shared bed/shared room/private room- but just to filter out that shared bed/sex surfers. as a host i even had privat room but changed to shared room to filter out that freelouders… What are you thinking about this filters? I think the attract the wrong people

I would filter for

• pet friendly (when travelling with dog)
  • family friendly
1 Like

I think we could add them and make them a default to be filtered and if anyone wants to change them they can…I slept in the same bed with other guys and girls and wasn’t expecting sex but I understand your concern :hugs:

1 Like

I was surprised that there is no freetext search filter. I like to search for people using keywords for hobbies/interests etc (eg. “cooking”, “computers” or the like). Currently I believe that this is not possible.

1 Like
  • On Couchers I’m looking for people who have really nice and / or full profiles. Right now on the UK map there are loads of users who are listed as “hasn’t said anything about themselves yet”. So filtering for profile completeness would be very useful, although I would emphasise that this doesn’t necessarily mean profile box ticking for me. I prefer to reach out to hosts who ignore the suggestions as to how they would fill out their profiles and write something that’s more theirs.

• Filtering out users who are regularly flagged as sending copy/paste requests would also be extremely useful.

2 Likes