"Preferred gender" option for hosting

@jcdelascasas I still don’t see why sex (male/female) should be part of the equation here. As @aapeli said in a different thread, we are not concerned with reproductive health of users, so gender (man/woman/non-binary/other) should be the variable to filter. Assuming you read and understood the couple of post replies that I sent to you in other threads (defining the difference between sex and gender), you seem to think of “gender” as a trivial concept and “sex” as the only “real” variable here, which is a bit insensitive to say the least. Edit: or it’s just an issue with different languages like Spanish not differentiating between sex and gender… I’m sorry!

In any case, I agree with others above that trying to limit how many people of a certain gender one can send requests to will not be effective. However, we could use an algorithm to “flag” users for further review. E.g. if a man only sends requests to women, the moderators could get a notification to look into his case more carefully. But there shouldn’t be a hard-cut restriction.

2 Likes

I think the words and concept is different in different countries…

As in facebook you can see sex as gender, so the meaning is understood by us.

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 23.44.35

You can see that in Facebook the use “sexo” to difference in spanish the gender.

So, take out the variable sex that I propose and make it in just three (woman, man, non-binary) and a text field who wants to add more info in the non-binary field.

The algoritm would work with just the gender woman and man.

1 Like

@jcdelascasas you are mixing sex and gender. Sexo es la cuestión biológica (masculino, femenino, asignado generalmente por el aspecto de los genitales al nacer) genero es como se identifica la persona (mujer (cis o trans) , hombre (cis o trans), no binario y otros). I do agree that we still use “sex” for this, so this may be confusing for Spanish speakers. For example in my country you can request your id to match your gender, but the card still says ‘sex’ : woman, men, non binary.

I do not agree that people should host tge same amount of people from each gender. I only host people that send nice requests. 90% of them happened to be men, for several reasons (including than woman are less likely to surf a strangers home due to security concerns, so obviously there are more male requests). I will not host a lady just because ‘I have to balance’ of she sends me a 'I’m at the train station, is the room available?` (yup, this is a real request I got).

Anyhow: Ya’ll talking about filtering by gender or sex, or checking if someone is creepy based on that make me laugh a bit. There’s also creepy gay and pan and other sexual orientations creepy people.

I do agree that the majority of creepy people are man (sorry guys :grimacing:) , but if they are gay they can still be creepy to other man, can’t they? I think the tree is blocking the forest, however you say that in English.

7 Likes

I second that. Idk how that happens, but I rarely get a good request from a girl

1 Like

Que el 90% de hombres solteros prefiere una mujer es bastante normal.En las mujeres solteras no es así,la tranquilidad que otra mujer le aporta está por encima de todo y es lógico que prefiera la comodidad de saber que podrá estar relajada.En todo caso,la propiedad privada y los gustos de su propietario,dentro de la legalidad,son un producto a respetar,no podemos ignorar que sin casa se termina el viaje.Es cierto que no está bien visto ni es políticamente adecuado elegir abiertamente qué sexo prefieres alojar,pero la realidad existe.Si alguien siente preferencia por un sexo,en su casa es legal que tenga esa opción.No olvidemos que,igual que una mujer,en general,se siente más segura entre mujeres:un hombre también.Aparte de segundas intenciones que pueda tener.En Youtube hay varios casos de parejas estables que se enamoraron gracias a este método,imagino que serán muchas más,de haber elegido un hotel:nada habría sucedido.España tiene una ley que protege todo acto en contra de la mujer y tiene un teléfono con auxilio inmediato en caso de ver vulnerados sus derechos.Admiro a esas mujeres solas que viajan a países donde sus derechos no existen,yo no tengo esa valentía.Saludos y abrazos…That 90% of single men prefer a woman is quite normal, in single women it is not like that, the tranquility that another woman gives them is above all else and it is logical that they prefer the comfort of knowing that they can be relaxed. In any case, private property and the tastes of its owner, within the law, are a product to be respected, we cannot ignore that without a house the trip ends, it is true that it is not well regarded or politically appropriate to openly choose which sex you prefer but the reality exists. If someone feels a preference for a sex, at home it is legal for them to have that option. Let’s not forget that, just like a woman, in general, she feels safer among women: a man too. ulterior motives you may have. On YouTube there are several cases of stable couples who fell in love thanks to this method, I imagine there will be many more, had they chosen a hotel: nothing would have happened. Spain has a law that protects all acts against the woman and She has a telephone with immediate assistance in case her rights are violated. I admire those women alone who travel to countries where their rights do not exist, I do not have that courage. Greetings and hugs.

1 Like

Yes you are right, globally gender is what I meant in sexo in our country… forget my idea…

Gender with three options is ok. as @n.spark and. you mentioned.

I think that creepy guys could be identified by many reviews (not just for one review that thinks that “Hi, lets have a drink” is creepy), reviews as the hidden ones that are able to be send in airbnb to the moderators. In that way, they creepy or predator could be ubicated in an algorithm that balance the requests taking into account the quantity of men vs women in that city.

Good luck developers to make the nice choice!

1 Like

3 posts were moved to #forum:inappropriate : 20210910-1320utc