Profiles for users

That is so true. On my Workaway my name is not mentioned on my profile, only my references, so when I receive a request with my name I am skipping up and down the road replying YES haha

1 Like

what other hospexes: HC, CS, BW, TR, WS, …

I would like to have the worldmap again!

and with different colors:

• Hosted surfer from that country
  • surfed in that country

Cs was just like learning + fluent… couldn’t you make it more specific? Like A1,A2, B1,B2,C1,C2?

1 Like

And will it be allowed to include link to other Hospexes?

In cs i had a link to my insta. Never pair for verification… will this be allowed?

I’m not sure occupation needs to be on there. I would be very vague if asked for this information. We are hosting strangers, I would rather decide wether to talk about occupation when the guest arrives.

4 Likes

This has been a very common request! We’re definitely looking at implementing it.

Maybe we can find a way for people to express how they’d like to say it.

Welcome to the forum Rob! Yeah it’s a fair point, but some people like showing that info. I think the best way to approach it is to have the option there, but you don’t have to fill it out if you don’t want to

2 Likes

Hey Rob, welcome to the forum!

I’d say you could always leave some fields blank if you like so. Occupation seems like a good generic info to get (part of) some first idea of someone … it seems to me that on CS about half of all people filled it in, so it’s neither a must nor unimportant, apparently.

That being said I hate it when a site constantly tells me I only filled in so-and-so-many percent of my profile. Leave me alone with that sort of thing! :smiley:

@womxn Good idea with the languages! I’d simply suggest an additional plain text field next to each language choice for fluency info.

1 Like

oh my god yes, this can be very annoying. And many people are just drifting, travelling, so maybe @RobHorner you can be creative and inventive, without going into detail
“Full time citizen of the world” kinda thing?

Screenshot from 2020-08-18 22-53-10
…vague answers seem to work quite well :wink:

4 Likes

I logged into my profile on findacrew today and realized i like how they designed a ‘Lifestyle’ section, combining several aspects where people can have strong (and mutually exclusive) preferences. Here’s a screenshot:

(though I wouldn’t want to see this topic get hijacked for another discussion on dating/no dating… If someone feels their particular approach on it is a good model, it’s probably better to discuss it in another or a new topic?! :innocent:)

4 Likes

I love this! No discussion needed for me, its great idea!

If a person has a public trip, I was thinking of showing it something in this regard:

So you can easily see previous hosts from that trip and have quick access to their references, and also see if he’she has hosts in next destinations, and if not, offer to host (if you’re from that city of course). Not super necessary feature, not the most important, but I think it would be a nice add on.

6 Likes

Love it on Trustroots that you can put in your CS and BeWelcome profile url as well. Can we integrate this as well?

3 Likes

This is a great idea because some people that are already members on one of these before discovering Couchers.org, by including their other profiles on one hand they prove they already have some sort of experience while on the other hand it allows the person that is seeing their profile on Couchers.org to have a more complete idea about them with very little effort.

4 Likes

I agree. I read other peoples profiles completely before deciding whether to accept them / contact them as a surfer. Some modern attention spans don’t allow time for this though. As an example, I asked one of my most favourite ever surfers who I get on extremely well with why they chose to request to stay with me and I got the surprising answer “oh - I didn’t read your profile” !

1 Like

I don’t put my real name in my CS profile for the simple reason that it is a test to see if people read my references from other members (who mention my name) before they contact me.

I don’t know how hard this would be to implement but perhaps a link to their Instagram account instead of sharing pictures on the profile.

1 Like

Maybe also some collaboration with diaspora would be nice. https://diasporafoundation.org/

I like the idea of having profile prompts in place - like a few questions users can choose that will form their profile.

Personally, I don’t have too much of a problem with writing lots and lots about myself in a bio :sweat_smile:, but I understand that for a lot of folks bio-writing without any prompts (and possibly in their second or third language) is nerve wracking and awkward. Not just because they are being intentionally vague or basic, but because it’s a weird type of interaction.

Prompts and fun questions (“What was your favourite trip ever”, “Would you rather spend a long time in one place or a short time in many places?”) will draw out some solid profile detail and stories.

2 Likes

Hi, I don´t like mentioning all countries I´ve been to, and I´d prefer to have an optional world map. On CS I just listed a couple of interesting visited nations, no one cares if a Swede has been to Norway and Denmark, for example.

3 Likes