Is Couchers still active?

Hello, is couchers still active ? It looks like people still use it but it looks like nobody coding anymore ?

Hi there and welcome! Like you said - there are plenty of active hosts and guests, but development has slowed down over time. If you have something specific you want to help with, you can consider signing up as a volunteer and expressing your area of expertise.

1 Like

what is missing is an activity on forum, that is what mekes the community alive.

About misisng developers: maybe if the choiche would have been to not use almost monolithic platform, but using smaller modules, giving developers the choiche on which libraries to use, would have make more people willing to help, without having to learn some dialect that would not be of any other use for them, and to use communication tools extremely unfriendly. (maybe is a choice of who designed couchers, since also all the system is extremely unfriendly)

1 Like

I do find it useful somehow to find hosts or meet people, and I receive requests from time to time, but surely we need more progress on tech side to support active events and expand the community.

Hey David here

yeah development it’s stuck right now, we are looking for developers! I’m organizing myself weekly meetings to speed up the process, if someone know anyone with expertise/experience in react/typescript or python/django would be perfect! write me in case you know anyone :slight_smile:

davidbaqueiro@Outlook.com

1 Like

You cannot have activities if you consistently reply with:
when one try to lo on couchers (actually: does not appear even the login page !)

Ooops… that’s an unknown error

This shouldn’t have happened. Please contact us and tell us what you were doing to help us prevent this error in the future.

Hi csmbs,

Exactly that! When I joined as developer a few years ago I told them that they should go more mainstream in order to attract developers. So I soon stopped developing again because I did not see much future with this un community friendly architecture.

and this is a problem that is afflicting, for the same reasons, also Trustroots and Bewelcome.
never learning from other’s errors.

1 Like

How exactly would you have proposed to “mainstream” ?

In response to the question, I host a few people in the last few months. Not as active as Couchsurfing, but still not a ghost!

1 Like

Hi oskyldig,

Thanks for asking.

With mainstream I mean those technologies that:

• would be very useful for starting web developers to have on their resume/cv.
  • would be easy to develop with at home on a not so expensive laptop
  • are easy for new developers to start with when joining the development
1 Like

Also: something that is not bound by strict boundaries, where there are some public api’s accessible by any language, so certain parts of the system can be prepared rather freely. Otherwise it is not a common property, where people mcan add or improve features freely, but a personal property of site administrators. (see what is happening on BW)

1 Like