We are Couchers, but, are we Couching?

What is our verb?

Let’s have some fun with this. Suggestions welcome.

3 Likes

Coughing :wink:

2 Likes

As in, if you are Coughing, please stay at home :mask:

The first one that came to me was Crouching :rabbit2: :man_shrugging:

3 Likes
  • Surfing (because it’s already so well established)
  • Couchering (mmm, maybe not)
  • Crashing (I’m in the UK, is the common anywhere else in the world?)
  • Camping (Because it’s a bit silly, but quite often true)
  • Sofing (which is a bit like surfing, only with sofas)
4 Likes

Yeah, definitely not Couchering. For some reason, it just sounds wrong :grimacing:

Chilling (out with)? Gracing (with our presence)?
Hanging? Skating ( :skateboard: > :surfing_woman: )?

3 Likes

to be honest I think Couching is fine as it seems to be a verb that separates this website from the original CS

plus: I was hitchhiking about 10 years ago in Germany and one of my drivers asked me if I would be doing this “Couching” everybody ist talking about. true story. even truer now that I am actually doing it :wink:

4 Likes

definitely not hanging hahaha :joy:

3 Likes

I like @gjw’s suggestion “Sofing”, sounds original. :upside_down_face:
“Couchering” doesn’t seem to hold the same charm, but it’s fine too.

2 Likes

@Mari Sofa, so good!

5 Likes

After reading Urban Dictionary’s definition of Sofing, I want to get rid of my couch and buy a sofa. Life would be so much better.

Turns out Couching is a medical procedure as well as an embroidery technique. Who knew :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

And if you google Couchering, you see this thread amongst the top hits.

3 Likes

I loved the meaning of sofing! Didn’t know that :smiley:

Haha! Now we know))

1 Like

Every September I end up re-reading the story of Gander , some new articles, some first-hand accounts of people who ended up in Gander. What the people of Gander did was similar to what the original CS community was all about. Might sound silly and unrelated, but “Gandering” would probably inspire people to do selflessly, with/for the community, and indirectly honor the town.

3 Likes

My hot take is that we are still couch surfers and still couch surfing, and that eventually when CS dies its inevitably slow and painful death, we’ll just take back the term and use it the way it should have been used in the first place :upside_down_face:

I have found that when talking about Couchers.org to people who are familiar with the concept, it’s easy enough to be like “well, we’re creating a new couch surfing app and it’s meant to replace couchsurfing.com completely,” however optimistic that may sound :slight_smile:

10 Likes

…sounds quite realistic to me :nerd_face:

3 Likes