Guest search

Will there be an option to search for possible guests rather than waiting for a request? I live well outside London but have hosted significant numbers successfully through searching for possible guests. As some hosts prefer not to host those with no experience or those who are young, a guest search gives the option to see who is looking for hosting. Without this I think I will hosting about zero per year apart from returning regulars. Thanks.

5 Likes

Hi Rob! Long time no see, we miss you at the weekly event :slight_smile:

I think public trips are going to be included in the full set of Couchers.org features when it’s ready. Would that cover what you’d like to be able to do?

4 Likes

I hope it covers my request. It’s pretty much the only way I found guests.

2 Likes

Same for me. I live in a small town, Tienen, about 50kilometer from Brussels-centre. It takes about the same time to get here by train than it magic take to get somewhere in the capital on foot or by subway. As most travelers only search bigger city’s for hosts it would be nice to invite traveling members if they are in the neighborhood. I got most of the surfers to visit me this way.

I know some people will have their mind set up to stay in a big city but hosts in smaller city’s get fewer requests and are therefore sometimes more willing to host and spend some extra time & effort to give passing travelers a great time.

4 Likes

Would be great to have the search guest function as it was on CS.

4 Likes

The new interface looks good. However I continue to request a guest search facility as I’m not central London but have many successful hostings on a previous platform. Hope this won’t be too long in coming. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Rob.

3 Likes

I guess no answer to my question. Without a guest search as on couch surfing I can’t search guests. This year I’ve hosted one new person so far, I’ll get one more in August. These come through direct requests. By this time in 2019 I had hosted 42 guests, most found through couch surfings search option.

I hope there will be search option soon.

4 Likes

I’m still hoping for a guest search option as was on couchsurfing.org.

I and many others live outside of main towns of interest yet are still able to offer good hosting. So far this year I’ve hosted one new guest. All others have been repeat visits, brothers or friends of past visitors. I’ve no way of searching guests who are looking for hosting in London.

I hope a search will be added otherwise it’s pretty much useless to me.

Thanks.

Robert.

Could be added in the profile also the possibility to sate “virtual host” place.
One person can set beside it actual location also some other locations that it consider within the range. These virtual hosts would be siplayed in the map in a different colour, and when you click would appear the reason the person set the lace as virstual hosting, for example “actually i am 31 km away, but at 300m from my house there is a fast service that in 20 minutes takes you to the main city downtown, much faster than if you were in a part of the city without a fast service” or “this s is not my residence, but an apartment that I have and currently is waiting to be restored, if you do not mind having a cold shower and dining sitting on boxes, we can move there during all or poart of your stay”

2 Likes

Hi, I’m still hoping for a guest search option. I live close to London and have 3 day weekends so helping those looking for hosting in London would be great. I get occasional requests and have hosted a number of repeat visitors but I’m able to take more assuming suitable timing but I still can’t search those looking for London hosting. Will this option become available? I hope so. Otherwise I’m limited to repeats and rare requests. Sadly requests are usually when I’m unavailable for whatever reason. Guest search please!!

4 Likes

Yes, please add this feature guest searching. Will be great as it work on CouchSurfing

3 Likes

I think this feature is a must. Not only boost the hosting experience but also help to increase the number of new members of couchers.

2 Likes

It would be useful feature

for you needs probably would be more useful another feature, that was present on BW for sometime then unexplicably dropped: being able to advertise itself as “available now”, so you may boost your presence for a few days, being tagged and searchable, so travelers may send you request, knowing that you are ready to host them.
Looking for people coming in your places looks more as a “market of cows”. Having had many experiences on similar features on CS and BW I would say that it is not the most suitable way, since by answering to a public request you make a commitment to host, and most of people putting such open requests are not putting enough details, or often do not even answers, so you would be put on hold, unable to accept other people.