How to request and make use of your personal data from Couchsurfing

Would it be technically possible to somehow export some data from CS? I think some people asked CS for all the data their gathered from them, I don’t know how this looks like, but maybe from the file they send it would be somehow possible to do this.

Send a request to privacy@couchsurfing.com and request a copy of your data. They will send you a zip-file with your data. You can easily browse this file using

https://www.reddit.com/r/couchsurfing/comments/hodqhy/export_data_chats_contacts/
1 Like

You can actually submit a data request here when you’re logged in (no e-mailing needed):

https://www.couchsurfing.com/preferences/privacy

How do you go about doing that? Did you send them an email under a freedom of information request or something along the lines of quoting GDPR?

I just sent an email to privacy@couchsurfing.com
subject: Requests portable copy of my profile data (user: “your_username”)

Dear Sir/Madam,
As a result of no longer having full access to my Couchsurfing account, and having attempted to follow your privacy policy, I am left with no other option than to invoke my consumer rights, and request a full copy of all personal data that is currently held by you.
Under the terms covered by the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) in California, and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in the European Union, I wish to request a copy of all data you hold against my account, including (but not limited to):

• Full profile information
    (including all details visible on my profile page, and other configuration settings I have applied)

• Full private messages history
    (including dates and the identity of senders and recipients)

• Full history of hosting and being hosted by other couchsurfers
    (including dates, locations and the identities of hosts and guests)

• Full history of all references provided and received
    (including dates and the identity of senders and recipients)

• Full details of all groups of which I am a member
    (including the names and descriptions of such groups)

• Full history of all public or group discussions which I have taken part in or subscribed to in any way
    (including groups and local discussions)

• Full history of all events I have organized and/or attended
    (including descriptions, titles, attendees, times and locations of such events)

• Full history of any interactions I have had with the support team or other employees of Couchsurfing International, Inc. or its predecessor organizations

Under the terms of GDPR, I expect a full copy of the data within one calendar month of this request. I would appreciate an early acknowledgement of this request, and am of course willing to collaborate before then, in order to clarify any relevant details of my request.
Furthermore I note that according to your privacy policy “You can request a portable copy of your data under the Privacy section of your Account and Settings (Desktop only).”, but this is now locked behind a paywall.
I advise you to process this request accordingly, and to end the current violations of your own privacy policy, and restore all data access and edit rights to me and all other users.

Kind regards

2 Likes

I want to do the same, but asked them for a refund first :v

1 Like