Couchers.org platform alpha

Can you see if it works on your phone? Also make sure it’s ‘niek’ not ‘Niek’.

You’ll have to create a new account for the alpha (can’t login with the forum account). Sign up here: https://app.couchers.org/signup/

No joy.

Click the ‘Haven’t signed up yet’ button and make an account (it’s not linked to the forum accounts yet). If it’s still not working, send an email to bugs@couchers.org

1 Like

Works a treat. Basic things like “create an account” are often overlooked by people like me. #noobalert

6 Likes

Hey guys, when I see my host requests, the color displayed next to their name is my color, not theirs. Not sure why that would be.

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 5.35.48 PM

1 Like

Hiya, I’m new here, i just tried to ‘sign up’ but it won’t accept any usernames that i try. I’m using lowercase, and i tried random letters that’s very unlikely to be a taken username. It just highlights username in red and says it needs to be lower case underneath ( it is lowercase) and has a big warning at the top of the page saying ‘Please fix your username’

I’m try to sign up from my phone

1 Like

Hi Falx, I’m not sure why that happened, but hopefully someone from backend can swing by and do a bit of troubleshooting on it. @aapeli?

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Thank you for reporting this! And welcome to the forum! We’ll make sure the dev team looks into this!

Hi Emily and Jesse, I tried again yesterday and was able to sign up successfully. Not sure what the problem was before, but now it works :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi all, we’ve wiped the messages and hosting requests because the database schema changed. Everything else should be there and you should still be able to login as normal and poke around!

What a great idea to set up this new platform. I am very excited about it !
Here are a few suggestions to get the ball rolling:

1. On user signup it is usual to ask for the suggeested password twice and compare them to eliminate typos in inputting the password to set up. This improves user experience on next login !
  2. Introduce a search feature for this forum. Not just to search for group categories but to search for keywords in the forum posts. This will greatly improve the chances of user s finding what they are looking for.
  3. Is it a good idea to setup groups so that users with similar interestes can meet in one place online and receive emails when new items are posted ?
  4. Try to make the website and mobile app offer identical features so it is transparent as to which interface users are using as the same functionality is available on both platforms.
4 Likes

Hi Simon! Welcome and thanks so much for the great suggestions! My thoughts:

1. Yes, this is something that will be implemented on the beta
  2. I agree a forum search is really important! There is already a search feature that looks for keywords. The hovertext says it only searches a few things, but it should look for keywords too (within individual posts). If for some reason you’re finding it is not working, let me or @nolo know
  3. Are you suggesting within the forum or the platform? The platform will allow you to subscribe to updates to community pages, interest groups, group chats, etc
  4. This is a good idea! The first iteration will be based on a mobile design (that will also work on desktop) and later iterations we should have native apps for iOS and android as well. The desktop UI/UX will also be improved as well. But since most travelers use the version on their phone our focus is on that first.
1 Like
  1. I meant within the platform - sorry for the ambiguity.
    Keep up the great work and merry Christmas :slight_smile:
2 Likes

I tried to sign up twice, but never got the email

Was that around 6-8 hours ago?

If that was you, you got the order of the Gmail “+” notation the wrong way around. You should use youraddress+couchers, (not couchers+youraddress)!

If that’s not the issue, just message me privately and I’ll sort it out for you.

lol thank you [= I’m in

2 Likes

I just noticed that from the messaging module you can’t access or check someone’s profile. I clicked everywhere and couldn’t find anything.

I also found it interesting that after you reply “Rejected” you can’t send subsequent messages.

On the web platform, when I put couchers dot org in a reply it says links are not allowed. Might want to whitelist it if there’s that option available.

We’ve migrated from the alpha to the beta, let’s move the discussion to that topic. I’ll close this topic as the alpha is no longer accessible and as to not confuse new users!

I’ve messaged you privately about this, thanks for reporting!