Is anyone hosting at the moment?

As most of us know there’s a pandemic going on and that has put a stop to many people travelling about by couchsurfing.
But as the vaccine rolls out there is a glimmer of hope that it will end.
Places like where I live in Western Australia, thanks partly to our isolation, is somewhere we can live a fairly normal lifestyle - albeit with social distancing still practised.
I’m just wondering if there are any hosts, anywhere in the world, providing accommodation to people who want to couchsurf.

1 Like

I’ve had my hospex profiles set as accepting guests since summer of last year. We also live rather isolated and in fact I had almost no requests and only hosted a couple of times, both times over trustroots. I’ve seen more requests since the winter holidays, but can’t offer our home now as we already have family staying.

Generally I felt comfortable offering to host as we live on an island and to board the plane you need to provide a recent negative test result. On the other hand couch-surfers would typically stay a couple of days only with one host and then move on. In that regard it’s really a bad option and potential spread vector.

Now we also have strict regulations in place again in most parts of Spain. I believe it would even be considered a breach of law to stay anywhere else than the homes of family and close friends, or places listed in the official tourist registry.

1 Like

I’m hosting! But I’m in New Zealand so there’s no tourism whatsoever. I have hosted two sets of guests since March 2020. I’m moving to Australia in a couple weeks time so I think I’ll try to host there, too. Just because life is somewhat normal in these parts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The last requests that I had were in March and April of last year. Since then it’s been basically dead.

2 Likes

Belgium: we are not allowed to invite even our own friends in our house …
After 1 month we managed to vaccinate 2% of the population, at this rate we have a very long way to go :+)

2 Likes

No hosting here in the U.K., my last request or rather offer and acceptance was a French guy in July for two nights. I’ve hosted 3 times since but each was a returning guest so friends. I don’t think there will any hosting here before summer, maybe July.

2 Likes

I haven’t had any request on TR or on BW. I do not have a profile on CS anymore. I would love to host but it is easier said than done. I do not think anyone would be in right mind to travel to India (it has 11 million official cases). I am again living with my mom currently so I will be careful who I host but I do not see any travelers on TR or BW. I guess people still use CS more for traveling in India.

1 Like

Im pretty active on cs… Started hosting again in August 2020 and since than hosted 10 people. So like 2 a month. Just one through couchers.org, one through host a sister fb group, the rest cs. I have BW profile but never recieved request there.
I recieve like 3 request a week. I am located in small touristic city in heart of europe. Its not legal to host now and before… , i dont care (doing corona test weekly though). I offer emergency hosting and than i check with the requests, like are they long time travellers… I dont encourage or accept short time travelling for tourisms only.

Its best time for cs for me now :smiley: i love it. I dont get spammed with request, eventhough im pretty shure Super host of my town now. I recieve really high quality request - and low quality in about 50%/50%. Low quality are from new members… Some paid cs (like i did ) bc it still has biggest userbase. Some (never had so many request from members with more than 50+ references than lately) having the paywall in front of them and want to stop than.

I also surfed lately - 3 requests and recieved 3 yes. Surfed through couchers as well before. So im still active, willing to share my experience but will be out if you judge ALL ppl travelling.

4 Likes